Monday, August 3, 2009

Dancing in The Sun

Let us dance in the sun, wearing wild flowers in our hair. ~Susan Polis Shutz


When I received the unexpected pleasure of an invitation to join the group of designers participating in the Swan Song event at Black Swan, I can admit to mixed feelings of excitment and fear. Excitement because my work was deemed "good enough" to be part of biding a fond farewell to a sim and indeed a company that has offered so much to the Second Life community in its promotion of art and fashion. Fear because of the uncertainity that my work really was "good enough" to be in the company of some of the best creative talents in this virtual world so many of us call out second home.

Once the daze of the invitation passed, I set to work trying to decided how to be inspired by the theme for this final show. One would think with a theme as broad as Fire, Water, Earth, and Air it would be easy to come up with something that fit into those categories. But as often occurs, things are seldom as easy as they at first appear. I felt like the more I tried to come up with an idea, the less inspired I became. I am drawn to the water and have actually made several previous pieces with a water theme so I expected once again to be drawn to the shores of the sea for my inspiration. And I did find inspiration in the sea, a school of tropical fish came to play with me, frolicking in the waves and slipping into pieces that are fun and frivolous.

At the same time I was playing with the fish though, I also began to grow a small garden. I had no intention of making more flowers, but I seem to have an affinity for them. While I don't possess a green thumb in Real Life, in SL I seem to leave a trail of flowers where ever I go. Soon the flowers I had started as a distraction from the fish began to take over. One piece became three. Three pieces became seven. I can't say I built the pieces in this set, they simply grew. The more I tended them, the more they spoke to me and flower by flower Dancing in the Sun blossomed into exisitence.

To me flowers are the perfect representation of all four elements. They are the gift created when the four elements work together to nourish a life. Flowers are joy made tangible. Let us celebrate the world we live in by Dancing in the Sun, wearing wild flowers in out hair. Thank you Rezzable for offering us this wonderful sim of Black Swan to celebrate the creativity born in a world where our elements are made up of pixels of light but inspire a depth of feeling equal to their real world counterparts.

The set can be found now at the Black Swan sim through August 17.

The set itself is comprise of seven pieces: bracelet, choker, cuff, earrings, necklace, and ring. It comes in Gold and Silver variations. The pieces are all transferable and the bracelet, choker, cuff, and necklace are all modifiable so size can be adjusted as needed. There are no textures used on the prims. Their presentation is completely the result of the cut and color of the prims and their interaction with the natural SL light. Try the demo for yourself and see how the pieces come alive against your skin and dance with every breathe and subtle movement you make. I hope you enjoy the flowers as much as I enjoyed being a part of their creation.








No comments: